Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Reggie Bush Covers Essence



If you've read my blog in the past, you know that I have a little beef with Essence magazine and their contradictions. For a magazine that wants to promote healthy relationships between Black women, they sure love being non-PR-PR machine for shows like The Real Housewives of Atlanta. There ain't nothing sisterly about NeNe, trust. These contradictions are boundless but for the most part, they make me forget about them with a fine man or two.

Like Reggie Bush. Reggie Bush couldn't find a first down marker but I'll be lying if I said that he ain't a dimepiece. You see that body? Talk about skeet-worthy. Bush is on the cover of the February 2010 issue of Essence, their "Black Men, Love and Relationships" issue. Ain't a bad choice if you ask me. However, Essence contradicts themselves again.

For the past two years, Essence has been promoting this idea of "Black Love", celebrating the positives of love, sex and intimacy within the Black community. In that way, I'm with them. I'm sick of hearing stories about Black women not being able to find a man. We ain't all sitting at home, sad, lonely and making love with our vibrators. Essence wanted to show the media that yes, Black women may not be getting married at the same clip as their White counterparts but that doesn't mean that we are not in possession of healthy relationship. We ain't all Waiting to Exhale waiting to happen. Black men ain't dead, shit. There are fine men, like Bush, who want us.

Except...

Bush is dating a Kardashian. Last time I checked, the only Black in her were the dudes she's been with. Doesn't really follow with the whole "Black Love" thing, does it? I mean, yeah, put him on the cover because he's fine, chocolate goodie-dee-goodness but don't forget that the shorty he dates ain't Black.

I could give a damn what color dude dates. She could be canary yellow, taupe or electric orange for all I care. But if you're Essence and you're pushing this idea of "Black Love", it would be smart to put someone on the cover that actually subscribes to that tenet.

(H/T: BlackSportsOnline)

** Essence think they're slick using those photos from his GQ shoot. Uh huh, try again Essence.

1 comment:

  1. essence is soooo bootleg. yeah they lost for not even having an official photoshoot for the men in their new issue. reggie's not my type even though he is nice too look at. i dont like dude too buff. i prefer basketball players over footballs players.

    ReplyDelete