Monday, August 3, 2009

"Funny How Time Flies" : 50 Cent's "Forever King" and the R&B of the 90's

I have a love/hate relationship with 50 Cent.

Like everyone else, I was all about 2003's Get Rich and Die Tryin' and 50's subsequent beatdown of an once-reigning Hip-Hop hitmaker called Ja Rule. Who wasn't screaming G-G-G-G-G-UNIT! around the school halls and streets of America? However, just like most, I fell off of the Curtis bandwagon after a few musical duds ("Candy Shop" ... ugh) and misguided beefs but I always found myself liking one or two 50 joints, especially off of his mixtape efforts.

Truth be told, I wasn't paying attention to 50's latest tape, Forever King, until I saw the video for his audio interpolation of "Funny How Time Flies" by Intro, one of the groups highlighted in my Best Male Groups of the 1990s post. For him to pick one of my favorite Intro cuts to chop and screw made my day. Those guys are consistently forgotten in the R&B discussions of the 90s.

At that point, I had to grab the tape and to my surprise, he rips some of the best R&B cuts of the decade. It's good to see somebody give credence to these records, even if it's a guy who can't put out a new studio album to save his life.

Below are the 90s-infused tracks of Forever King and the sampled classics.

Track #4: "Things We Do"


Original: Gina Thompson feat. Missy Elliot "The Things You Do (Remix)"

Track #5: "Get This Money"


Original: Horace Brown "One For The Money"

Track #6: "Funny How Time Flies"


Original: Intro "Funny How Time Flies"

Track #7: "If U Leaving, Then Leave"

Original: Jeff Redd "You Called and Told Me"

Track #8: "Dreaming"


Original: Christopher Williams "I'm Dreaming"

Track #11: "Touch Me"


Original: Case feat. Foxy Brown "Touch Me, Tease Me"

No comments:

Post a Comment